Monday, July 9, 2012

Going Home

We’re now flying over the Atlantic Ocean making our way home.  Reflecting on our time in Italy, I still feel overwhelmed.  What an incredible trip.  An end-all trip of a lifetime.  Every day was a new adventure. 

I’m surprised by how much Italy touched me.  I’ll miss waking up to the sounds of roosters and pigeons, telling time by church bells, the sidewalk cafes lined up one after the other, the old-time feel, the art, the food.  I’ll miss the absence of chain restaurants, mega stores, strip malls, and fast food (well, except for McDonald’s – I guess they’re everywhere).  But, by far, what I will miss most is the Italians themselves.  The gregarious, expressive, warm, funny, animated Italians.  I’ll miss their beautiful language and the way they speak it.  But I realized that I’m so very fortunate.  I have a lot of that to look forward to at home with our own Italian families; the sons and daughters of those brave immigrants who left all they knew in Italy to start a new life in America.  How grateful I am to them; how awed I am by them.

And, admittedly, there are things that we are looking forward to leaving.  You know what I’m going to say first, don’t you?  Yep.  The crazy roads and the insane driving that happens on them.  I also won’t miss all those funky showers.  Chris says he won’t miss the lack of traffic laws (no more motorcycles coming at you the wrong way down a one-way street, and having that be completely acceptable), and the hard mattresses.  Lol.  Best of all, we get to see and be with our girls, and talk to our families and friends again!

Before I end this blog, I have to say thank you to my husband.  He enthusiastically planned and executed every bit of this trip, and he kept us safe while doing it (no small task).  He found all those off-the-beaten-track places to stay, reserved tickets, planned surprises, researched hotels, thought about details like electrical adaptors, Italy maps for the GPS, and the right accessories to carry our stuff in, and cheerfully did all the driving.  I am so fortunate to be the recipient of all his excitement for making this trip fun, exciting, and oh so memorable.  Thank you for the time of my life, Chris!  I love you, and I’m so looking forward to our next 25 years together!




3 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwwwwwwwww ;u;

    I'm so happy you had an amazing trip, and now I am so happy you are coming home!!!

    Love you both and see you soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....brings tears to my eyes! So looking forward to talking to you and we have moved card day to next week....you will need a few days to get back to America, Minnesota and Stillwater!! Enjoy your trip home! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great hearing about your adventures. My brother Paul is going to Italy in two weeks and will visit with cousins who will take him to my grandparents town. You have received a special gift of memories that I am sure you will cherish for many years.

    ReplyDelete